Enhance your bachelor's degree with a personalized pathway to teacher certification.
Take one of our introductory courses to try out the FIUteach program. Course costs are reimbursed at the in-state rate upon successful completion at the end of the term.
These degree programs are offered with the FIUteach program. Visit the degree page to learn more, or view course requirements in the Undergraduate Catalog.
This courses can be integrated into your degree plan. Note that student teaching is also offered in the fall.
|Course (credits)||Description||Semester||Field Experience||Prerequisites|
|STEP 1: Inquiry Approaches to Teaching Mathematics and Science. Students who want to explore teaching careers become familiar with writing and teaching inquiry-based mathematics or science lessons using exemplary resources in an elementary school setting.||Fall/Spring||Yes||Fewer than 45 credits|
|STEP 2: Inquiry-Based Lesson Design in Mathematics and Science. Students who want to explore teaching careers become familiar with writing and teaching inquiry-based mathematics or science lessons using exemplary resources in an elementary school setting.||Fall/Spring||Yes||SMT 2661|
|Combined STEP 1 & 2: Inquiry-Based Approaches and Lesson Design for Teaching Mathematics and Science. Accelerated course taken in place of SMT 2661 and SMT 2662. Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Statistics, and Earth and Environment majors only.||Fall/Spring||Yes||fewer than 90 credits|
|Knowing and Learning in Mathematics and Science. Focus on knowing and learning in secondary mathematics and science as understood from a multidisciplinary perspective. Students identify theories and employ theories to guide their own practice.||Fall/Spring/Summer||No||Taken or enrolled in SMT 2661 or SMT 2044|
|Perspectives in Science and Math Education. This course will help students to develop understanding of theoretical frameworks and multiple perspectives underpinning mathematics and science education. Fulfills Global Learning Requirement.||Spring||No|
|Classroom Interactions in Mathematics and Science Teaching. Focuses on examination of the interplay between teachers, students and content, and how such interactions enable students to develop deep understanding of the mathematics and science ideas.||Fall/Spring||Yes||SMT 3100|
|Research Methods. Experimental development and design for future science teachers. Four independent science experiments are designed, conducted and analyzed. Includes statistical analysis techniques. Science students only.||Fall||No||STEP 1 and 2|
|Numbers, Functions and Modeling for Teachers. Required for mathematics students. Students will demonstrate proficiency in working with mathematical ideas and solving problems involving integers, real and complex numbers.||Fall/Spring||No||Calculus 2|
|Problem-Based Instruction (PBI) in Mathematics and Science. Focus on exploring authentic, important and meaningful questions and developing a PBI science/mathematics unit, employing processes and technologies that scientists, mathematicians and engineers use.||Fall/Spring||Yes||SMT 3100 and SMT 4301|
|Subject Area Reading. Skills, techniques and strategies for reading in content areas.||Fall/Spring/Summer||Yes|
|ESOL Issues and Strategies for Content Teachers. Analysis, application and adaptation of ESOL methods and materials to enhance instruction for linguistically and culturally diverse students. Fulfills META requirements.||Fall/Spring/Summer||Yes|
|Student Teaching. Supervised teaching in a middle school or high school.||Fall/Spring||Yes||All courses|
- FIUteach Noyce Scholarship: FIUteach students interested in becoming teachers and leaders are eligible to apply for $12,000 per year for up to two consecutive years.
- Robert R. Bellamy Scholarship: Students enrolled in an undergraduate Initial Teacher Preparation Program in Education with a course load of at least 12 credits and a GPA of 3.0 are eligible to apply.
- TEACH Grant: A full-time TEACH Grant recipient may receive four scheduled awards of up to $4,000 each for the baccalaureate postbaccalaureate programs.
- Florida Fund for Minority Teachers Inc.: FFMT offers the Minority Teacher Education Scholarship in the amount of $4,000 per year for up to two consecutive years.
- Stafford Teacher Loan Forgiveness: Graduates who teach full-time for five complete and consecutive academic years in certain elementary and secondary schools and educational service agencies that serve low-income families, and meet other qualifications, may be eligible for forgiveness of up to a combined total of $17,500 in Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, and Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans.